Pilot lamps on 1954 G3LS

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
phyl

Pilot lamps on 1954 G3LS

Post by phyl »

Could somebody please confirm the original fastening arrangement for the twin pilot lamps either side of the headlamp?
Was there a nut on the outside of the fork headlamp bracket (hidden beneath the rubber grommet), with clearance holes through bracket and headlamp shell to a further nut with lock washer inside the shell. Or?
I have just acquired a pair of these lamps and would like to fit them for 'period' effect. Current headlamp fixing has tappings to take the conventional head screws either side for pivoting and adjusting the lamp.

Biscuit
Deceased

Pilot lamps on 1954 G3LS

Post by Biscuit »

Morning Irene, There was not a nut on the outside of the headlamp bracket, the nut inside the headlamp pulled the screwed tube against the pressing which secures it to the pilot lamp. The holes in the headlamp were clearance holes for the 7/16" X 26 TPI thread on the tube. Your '54 G3LS would have had these as standard fitting.

SPRIDDLER

Pilot lamps on 1954 G3LS

Post by SPRIDDLER »

My May '54 G3LS doesn't have any side lights on the headlamp. Did they discontinue them at that time - or was it because mine was exported new to the Rhodesian Police Force?
Neville

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Biscuit
Deceased

Pilot lamps on 1954 G3LS

Post by Biscuit »

The '54 would have had the sidelights, although it is entirely possible the Rhodesian Police may have ordered them without.

SPRIDDLER

Pilot lamps on 1954 G3LS

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Thanks Alan.
Maybe they thought they would just be superfluous, and something else to break. The sidelight bulb is incorporated in a hole in the bottom of the single headlamp reflector.
Neville

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tolly

Pilot lamps on 1954 G3LS

Post by Tolly »

And there's me thinking they only fitted the little side lights to the outside of the headlamps on the G11's. [:I]

Mike T

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.