g80cs

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
lawrence

g80cs

Post by lawrence »

I believe the year prefix was dropped on all AMC engines in the early sixties as they were hanging round in the showrooms longer than anticipated. Hard to believe, but people were choosing Honda etc just because they were better bikes and less money. Some people, tshhhh! [:I]

Lawrence [}:)]
lawrence

g80cs

Post by lawrence »

If Pat Hughes couldn't help you, which is amazing, you are probably going to strugle. (This is like struggle but lasts less time). Tony Surbey may be able to advise. His son has a passion for CS models and tells me they will be worth mints in years to come. High values are a problem in my mind as they attract villainy ;o(

RogerNorman

g80cs

Post by RogerNorman »

The reason Pat won't be able to help with the numbering is that The Club don't hold the last dating books for the Factory Production and only a few of the competition engine numbers (about 4 years in the early 50's and a few in the 60's)
From the information however that I had collated when I was Dating Officer in the late 80's the number you quote is wrong in any event unless its an early 50's engine. The last 'normal' series engine numbers ran into 5000 odd in the mid 60's then jumped to a 5 figure number.

Colin F

g80cs

Post by Colin F »

quote:Originally posted by Anthony Ostle

Thanks again,would you have a contact no. or if possible does anybody have a number for ken de groom,apparently he did a lot of work on the engine but I can't find him!!as for cs going up in value,i paid enough for it now!!![:p]

I understand that Ken De Groom no longer does any work on bikes, and for what ever reason no longer wishes to have anything to do with bikes.
I know he changed his phone number and as far as I know no one has been able to contact him regarding bikes .
lawrence

g80cs

Post by lawrence »

I occasionally feel like that, especially after trying to trace an electrical malfunction [:I]

matchlessg85cs

g80cs

Post by matchlessg85cs »

Hi Anthony

I think G80CS1414 cannot be a 1964
is it a short stroke ...a 1964 must start with 4600 up to early 5000 numbers in 1965
I even have norton gear engine cases un numbered
when the AMC factory closed their doors 4ever a small part shop near plumpstead Rd kept selling parts [ that in order for guarantee]
a rickman Matchless scrambler is a nice bike and I saw some in action at Lochem classic MX event in Holland
check my pages http://home.wanadoo.nl/fxkuyl or email me pictures at fxkuyl@wanadoo.nl

I am in search for a magneto to timing chest rubber seal
is that still in stock on the partslist
I am thinking on getting full member of the Jampot club