Matchless G 11

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Lars erik Larsen.

Matchless G 11

Post by Lars erik Larsen. »

Hello
I just bought a Matchless G 11, this is my first matchless and i wonder aboout some stuff that maybe some of you guys know of. I know this modell was produced only between 56-58 but do any of you how many were made. I have looked around on the net a bit, but do any of you how many hp it gives? If you have any generel tips on the G 11, mine is running but needs a little care i think, have not picked it up yet, i would be very glad.
This is a beautiful page have a brilliant day
Greetings Lars Erik
I

stubbs

Matchless G 11

Post by stubbs »

Hello Lars - Have just about rebuilt two of these one 1956 and the other 1957 - Seems to me that in general with a little TLC and regular oil changes they will go on for a long time. Two rebuilds ? my son bought a basket case which was a load of rubbish that had been badly run and maintained. Mine? I think that I made a mistake in fitting a recon oil pump to cure a wet sumping problem only to have the drive side conrod partially sieze. Fortunately the only damage was a wrecked con rod a journal that was reground to 40 thou, a slight mark on the barrel skirt and a small piece of metal which polished the inside of the drive side bearing

Tolly

Matchless G 11

Post by Tolly »

Hi Lars,
I have a 1957 model which is original, it has not been renovated, it has just over 40k miles on the clock and apart from a rebore and crank regrind, done before I bought it. I bought it about 3 years ago as a non runner so I took a chance. I had the mag re-done and the only other thing I have fitted is an anti-sumping tap. As Reg says, regular oil changes and they go on a long time.
The answers to your other questions I cannot answer but don't worry about them just buy it and I'm sure you'll enjoy. [8D]
Regards Mike.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
bjork

Matchless G 11

Post by bjork »

I've just got a 1956 G11, the same year as me, it is not perfect, but it isn't a long way off! It's an older restoration done in the early 80's from what I can guess, and it is really nice to ride. The engine spins willingly, is nice and quiet,and it is pretty oil tight too. The only downsides that I can see are little things related to infrequent use since it's rebuild. I've given it a bit of a service, and the next few jobs I want to do involve things like refilling the Jampots with oil and maybe fitting a sidecar.(anyone got a Swallow jet 80 body lying around?) I don't have a manual relating to this year-yet, but the ones I do have are a little bit vague about stripping and reparing Jampots, any tips/pointers where to start advice etc anyone? Will be at the Alternative with this one I think.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
bjork

Matchless G 11

Post by bjork »

Also forgot to mention-it has "super clubman" decal on the tank. I realise that anyone could have supplied this, so what is the difference? where they all called super clubman? It does seem to appear quite often in magazine reports etc.
bjork

Matchless G 11

Post by bjork »

Ok, I have just got back from the pub,Sunday lunchtime etc.[:0]I have re-read the last two posts and can see straightaway the mistakes. I hereforthwith reject any complaints related thereto[xx(]and if you can spot them and attend this weeks East Midland section meeting with the corrections written down I WILL buy you a drink. Can't say fairer than that! See you both then ,Eric and Fred.[:D]
stubbs

Matchless G 11

Post by stubbs »

Steve - Jampots are fairly east to refurb. There were two types the earlier which needs aspecial tool with two prongs to undo the ring at the base of and under the top cover. the later ones need compressing to release a circlip. To get the botton clevis off I used a conrod from a Norton Atlas with a coarse wet and dry paper inside (Coarse side to the conrod) clamped over the bottob of the leg with the conrod in a vice. A suitable rod through the clevis as alever (gently) should get bit apart - Itsreally a simple form ofthe front forks - If you should replace the seal and bush - Russel motors have a bronze version which of course does`nt swell as do the bakelite versions in contactwith oil

Biscuit
Deceased

Matchless G 11

Post by Biscuit »

I think the 600 WAS a Super Clubman and the were all called this, could be wrong of course. A tip for those with, or access to a lathe. The lower, aluminium part of the jampot leg usually accumulates burrs and digs, not mention corrosion. There is bags of meat on this item to take a skim along it, and they look like new.

bjork

Matchless G 11

Post by bjork »

Hi Reg & Alan, thanks for your replies. I was away for a week so didn't get a chance to read them or do the job till this weekend. I borrowed a conrod(mini I think) from our Bill Morris, who has the right tool for every job ever,anywhere in the world. I knew there wasn't any damping action on my Jampots, so wasn't expecting much in the way of oil to come out of them. What I actually got was mucky black grease and a drop or two of cruddy oil. Bill and the rest of the East Midlands section told me not to expect much improvement even with fresh oil in them.(they are using 40w oil!) Anyway a quick wipe down and reassembly with 20w fork oil, and they seem fine. I now have damping so don't feel guilty about the MOT I blagged a few weeks ago!(they all bounce like that mate) and it actually rides nicely too. From what the others were saying I think they must have really soft-sagging?-springs as they complain of the units bottoming out continually. By the way I did put a little extra oil in there as the air gap seemed a little too large even allowing for full compression. Is the 75/85cc in the book a little too little?could the piston be out of the oil res at max extension? Just the rich mixture to sort next, but may leave that till after the Alternative rally as I hear global warming hasn't reached Snowdonia yet.
bjork

Matchless G 11

Post by bjork »

Quick reply to Lars, I read that the G11 started with about 34hp, and that the CSR's gained 4/5 extra hp. If you needed to know for insurance purposes, then I think your bill should be relatively low. There used to be a 30 something Insurance category for Germany, the discount was enough to encourage ZZR1100's and the like to be registered with 34ps(hp)! Does that situation apply for you too?