1961 Unified Twin

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ranger

1961 Unified Twin

Post by ranger »

At the Calne, Wilts, Motorcycle Show on Sat 17th July, the recently restored, unique, 1961 Unified Twin will be on display for the first time. With a 650 unit construction motor, AMC planned to replace the Norton Dominator and Matchless/AJS 650 Twins. The model never went into production and the project was abandoned in 64. The restoration has taken the owner some 20 years and it now runs superbly.
Colin F

1961 Unified Twin

Post by Colin F »

I think you will find the unified twin dates from 1966/7.
It has been built in a featherbed frame, personally I think it would have looked better in an AMC duplex, but that was the owners choice! In reality it would have prbably ended up in the "pluto" frame.
I can confirm that this engine runs superbly as I was the first to start it :-) and also got to ride it :-)))
ranger

1961 Unified Twin

Post by ranger »

Thanks Colin but as I'm no expert, I only wrote down the info that the owner told me. I also enjoyed riding it and found it to be a credit to the restorer - great tickover and smooth running.

Tim
Eamonn
Webmaster

1961 Unified Twin

Post by Eamonn »

I also hear there's going to be a special one-off 'prototype' AMC at Calne as well [:D]

Corners like a Lego man
ranger

1961 Unified Twin

Post by ranger »

Absolutely correct Eamonn. The 'Pluto' framed Matchless will be located alongside the Unified Twin on the Real Classic magazine stand which will be on the Calne wharf lawn. As far as I know, which aint that much, the UT engine would ultimately have been fitted into the Pluto frame had they gone into production.
matchlessp11

1961 Unified Twin

Post by matchlessp11 »

Tim
Just a quick note to say thanks for a wonderful show at Calne on the 17th. Is it just me or did that unified twin look like a huge hunk of metal. Can only say that the Atlas engine and separate AMC gearbox arrangement in our P11's looks a whole lot sexier!

Richard

ranger

1961 Unified Twin

Post by ranger »

Of course I'm biased, but I totally agree. The UT and Pluto had a lot of interest and it was good to get them together at our show. Thanks for making the long trip down from Richmond Nth Yorks & hope to see you at the Jampot Rally.

Tim
Colin F

1961 Unified Twin

Post by Colin F »

Just to follow on from this Classic Bike spent a day in rural Suffolk road testing the bike for the September issue. I also believe it will be on the cover of that issue.
Colin F

1961 Unified Twin

Post by Colin F »

Septembers Classic Bike mag is out and there is a full report on this bike in the magazine.