Matchless Silver Arrow OS 7552

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

Can anyone tell me anything about the Matchless Silver Arrow that is on the website "Gallery"

The reg no is OS 7552 & that's all I know.

Thanks for any info.

regards, Les Smith
Keep smiling
Charles.
Deceased

Post by Charles. »

Can't tell you anything about that particular bike.

But the Silver Arrow was a 400cc 26 degree shallow v-twin sidevalve engine, that looks like a line-astern twin (but is just a regular v-twin). Produced in 1930 and 1931 and 1932, when sales were so low it was discontinued. Only about 2000 were produced.

Titch Allen did a road test of one in "The Third Vintage Road Test Journal", a Bruce Main Smith publication of 1975. Good article, very competent tester and author. (and series of books).

Another luxury silent bike that was a commercial failure...

cheers, Rohan.
silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

Dear Rohan,

Thanks for your info on the Silver Arrow. I have a 1930 model and was really wanting details on that particular bike for entry into the Silver Arrow/Hawk Register.

For more detail and links i have a web site http://www.homestead.com/matchlesssilverarrow/les.html

By the way the ref to 26 degs. is the crank rotation between cylinder TDC's, the angle betweeen the cylinder bores is 18 degs. This is a much debated, misunderstood and misquoted figure including works literature!!!!

best regards, Les Smith.
Keep smiling