Weekly quiz

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
quizmaster

Re: Weekly quiz

Post by quizmaster »

Well I am back in the saddle. Only four correct answers this week, many people wrongly identified it as the early rockerbox bolt for a twin. However one regular noticed that the threading went right up and on the rockerbox bolt it was only part of the way and this was the clue. In fact this is part number 022750 primary chaincase band bolt fitted from 56. As they changed to all ally chaincase in 58 it was only for a couple of years. As quizmaster my joy was great when I realised they changed the part number in the relevant parts lists but did not illustrate it. (Small things please.....you may think). My theory is sometime in 1955 they found a huge stock of the early rocker box bolts and someone thought if we run a die down these we can re-use them as chaincase bolts and stop that annoying fiddle trying to get a screwdriver onto the head of the earlier screw.
Anyway have a go at this week's I thought it difficult but I have already had one correct answer!
image.jpeg
And the quiz pic part no 022750
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hi-yo Silver and away"
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.05.02_11h23m18s_002_.png
There is a part illustrated way back in a 1935 AJS parts list that looks like this bolt. I was getting the late Malcolm Saggers to make a batch of them. The part being mid 1930's OHV head bolt. I was waiting to see the answer. The quiz bolt looked like a crude repro of this old AJS part. Crude because the threads went almost all the way to the bolt head. Also a lot of tool marks on the round part. Anyway my answer was wrong, so I wonder if quiz master knew about this illustration and was out to get me. Never mind, prewar owners looking for these bolts may also be disappointed, although crude, it is not a repro prewar head bolt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quizmaster

Post by quizmaster »

Well only two correct answers last week. I didn't get it when it was sent to me so well done. This week's is easier I think, but please note I will be at the IJR so may not be marking up the correct answers til Tuesday the following week.
Last week the quiz picture was
SDC14347comp.jpg
and the answer I was looking for is top cowl of an acetylene light, first world war we think. here is the photo of the whole unit,
SDC14350comp.jpg
"Hi-yo Silver and away"
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I will be at the IJR so may not be marking up the correct answers til Tuesday the following week.

So will I and would buy you drink but how would i know its you. ;)
Roy
Janet

Post by Janet »

G15 Roy wrote:I will be at the IJR so may not be marking up the correct answers til Tuesday the following week.

So will I and would buy you drink but how would i know its you. ;)
He'll be the one wearing a mask.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Now you have done it they will all have masks when its my round.
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

G15 Roy wrote:Now you have done it they will all have masks when its my round.
Oh dear Roy, You will have to be known as two wallets Roy.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Then wear a mask yourself.......
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

robcurrie wrote:Then wear a mask yourself.......
There's only so many masks a bandit can wear! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
quizmaster

Post by quizmaster »

Well you just cannot tell when setting the quiz what is going to be difficult. After a few weeks of difficult ones I thought this one would be a doodle and I would be marking pages of correct answers. But yesterday all I got was wrong ones. Ok the scale is not clear and the angle is purposely confusing but this part was fitted to singles and twins, heavyweight and lightweight, from at least the mid thirties until the mid sixties. Well the size of the part itself altered a bit over time and sometimes according to the engine size but they always looked similar.
Enough clues already :twisted:
"Hi-yo Silver and away"