Oil pressure gauge kit.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
JEAN-NOEL

Oil pressure gauge kit.

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hi
most of the problems identified on the twins are related to the lubrication system. The oil pressure is a parameter of paramount importance, if it falls, bike must be stopped immediately to investigate the cause :lack of oil, excessive heat, wrong grade,excessive clearance beetwen bearings and journals, worn oil pumps etc . The installation of a pressure gauge to look at pressure in real time would often avoid a costly and brutal failure .I suggest to perform a kit adaptable to all twin with a small pressure gauge calibrated up to 100 PSI, its bracket, a thin braided hoose, banjo connection, and a relief valve body modified (see Roy Bacon, page 106) . There would be no irreversible alteration compared to the original state. This kit should be aesthetic and fit all vintages. Designed and sold by JAMPOT SPARES its cost should be very low. Who is interested by this challenge ?
bigwol

Oil pressure gauge kit.

Post by bigwol »

A warning lamp would probably serve as well.
It's all just riding motorbikes
JEAN-NOEL

Oil pressure gauge kit.

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Yes bigwol, but a pressure gauge gives information according oil temperature, oil grade, low or high revs. Warning lamps opérates in "no/yes" mode at very low pressure, and it will be too late to avoid problems.
les ward

Oil pressure gauge kit.

Post by les ward »

It is easy enough to fit an oil pressure gauge, but you will need to be careful. I have seen 240psi at start up with cold SAE 50 oil. This is enough to blow oil lines and gauges. This soon drops to about 100psi cold, then to about 10 to 25 when warm. However a zero reading can often be seen. I took my engine apart because of this once, found nothing wrong and it went on to cover over 60,000 miles. I took the gauge off as it just worried me without cause.

You seem overly worried about the oiling system. True the twins are not as robust as the singles, but I have never seen an engine problem due to the oil pump.

The major problems are:

Broken cranks. A later Nodular crank or one of the new club cranks should solve this. Although I have never actually had a "noddy" crank and have covered many thousands of miles.

Incorrect machining of the big end without the radius. This will also break the crank.

Big end bearing wear. Eventually the big end shells wear, then the conrod makes a bid for freedom by punching a hole in the crankcase. This is why so many bikes have replacement crankcases and is the type of damage I have seen most often. Most impressively following a friend as we were overtaking a lorry in the middle of France. Boy how we laughed as he replaced his underpants and I scraped a gallon of oil off my front forks/tyre/jacket/visor etc. His problem was that a previous owner had reused the big end nuts.

In my opinion if the engine is put together carefully, then you will have to cover a high milage before the big ends cause problems.

I'll bet you can't stop the cam followers from rattling for long though.
JEAN-NOEL

Oil pressure gauge kit.

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hi Les,
thank you for your reply.
I think that very hight oil pressure can occur ont 1957/1959 twin which do not have a discharge valve. Ray Spencer can create a relief valve built in the back plate as it is on the latest models.
JEAN-NOEL

Oil pressure gauge kit.

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hi all,
I have found a complete oil pressure guage kit :
"The Morgo Universal Oil Pressure Gauge set comprises of a universal mounting bracket made in die cast aluminium, coated with a hard wearing black finish. The custom made clock reads from 0 to 100 psi. The clock bezel and body are made from stainless steel. The rear of the clock is finished with a push on rubber cover.

The clamp ring is to suit a 7/8" ( 22.2mm ) handlebar, other sizes available on request.

Fitment | Universal

Supplied | 1 x Oil Pressure Gauge
1 x Clamp Ring 7/8"
1/8" BSP Push Fit Fitting
2 Metres of Oil Resistant Tubing "
Cost UK = 49 £ includinc postage...

sunnybob

Re: Oil pressure gauge kit.

Post by sunnybob »

les ward wrote:It is easy enough to fit an oil pressure gauge, but you will need to be careful. I have seen 240psi at start up with cold SAE 50 oil. This is enough to blow oil lines and gauges. This soon drops to about 100psi cold, then to about 10 to 25 when warm. However a zero reading can often be seen. I took my engine apart because of this once, found nothing wrong and it went on to cover over 60,000 miles. I took the gauge off as it just worried me without cause.
About the zero reading... :shock: I have just fitted a car sensor with a warning lamp on my AJS. I have a 1958 model 20 and I used an earlier model oil felt filter cap to fit a 1/4 bsp sensor. When cold everything goes fine, but when very hot the warning light turns on at idle speed. So I presume the pressure is lower than 0,5 bar (about 7 PSI) :cry:

Engine Oil is SAE 50 mineral and Felt Filter is missing. Oil flows fine in the oil tank. Any suggestion, please?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

sunnybob wrote:
les ward wrote:It is easy enough to fit an oil pressure gauge, but you will need to be careful. I have seen 240psi at start up with cold SAE 50 oil. This is enough to blow oil lines and gauges. This soon drops to about 100psi cold, then to about 10 to 25 when warm. However a zero reading can often be seen. I took my engine apart because of this once, found nothing wrong and it went on to cover over 60,000 miles. I took the gauge off as it just worried me without cause.
About the zero reading... :shock: I have just fitted a car sensor with a warning lamp on my AJS. I have a 1958 model 20 and I used an earlier model oil felt filter cap to fit a 1/4 bsp sensor. When cold everything goes fine, but when very hot the warning light turns on at idle speed. So I presume the pressure is lower than 0,5 bar (about 7 PSI) :cry:

Engine Oil is SAE 50 mineral and Felt Filter is missing. Oil flows fine in the oil tank. Any suggestion, please?
Yep, take it off and just revert back to the factory fittings and forget about all the stories you hear. Change the oil regularly and cover thousands of trouble free miles. Like Les I've ridden thousands of miles over 30 yrs on twins and have yet to have any oiling issues at all!
les ward

Post by les ward »

I had mine on a 1957 G11 and with a very hot engine it would sometimes show zero at idle. Worried me, so I took the engine apart, but couldn't find anything amiss.
That was on a newly rebuilt engine, so I didn't replace anything.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

In part I think this is a symptom of getting older. I used to ride the Matchless up and down from North Yorks to North London and back while at College in Middlesbrough during the 1970's. My tool kit was a plug spanner a couple of "King Dick" adjustables and a couple of screwdrivers plus a spare plug . Oh, and a small polythene bottle of oil - whatever was to hand. Servicing was a bit hit and miss and cruising speeds too high. I always seemed to arrive.

Now, setting off for Lochearnhead for the weekend I'll have spare clutch and throttle cables, inner tube, tyre levers, pump, set of "C" spanners, some ring spanners, pliers, side cutters, puncture repair kit & spray, odd tub of washers, bolts wire, nuts, electrical connectors, insulating tape, spare bulbs. Top box full of stuff.

Where has the flame of carefree youth gone? Dampened by experience.

Johnny B