Pipe dreams

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Pipe dreams

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Hi, I hope at least one of you will know this!

The feed and return oil pipes on my late '57 M16-what size and type are the threads are the male and female unions please?

I'm talking about the union nuts that screw onto the crankcase with the short 1/2" pipes with the slight bend in them that fit on to the neoprene (?) ones from the tank.

Thanks,

Andy
cfaber

Re: Pipe dreams

Post by cfaber »

Plugsnpoints wrote:Hi, I hope at least one of you will know this!

The feed and return oil pipes on my late '57 M16-what size and type are the threads are the male and female unions please?

I'm talking about the union nuts that screw onto the crankcase with the short 1/2" pipes with the slight bend in them that fit on to the neoprene (?) ones from the tank.

Thanks,

Andy
I recently was asking this. My BSW thread standard says 20tpi on the 5/8" side and 19tpi on the 1/2" side. Apparently they should both be 19 tpi BSP but that's not what I've found. Your next problem is going to be finding the right fittings.

(Note the above was for my 54 18s)
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Dixter

Post by Dixter »

They are 1/4-19 BSP, a British parallel pipe thread. In the engine cases, the sealing principle is a female conical face is met with a male conical face. A thin smear of Loctite anaerobic pipe sealant, on the mating faces works wonders. Teflon tape is superfluous on parallel pipe threads.

Both ends of the steel union on the supply line are the above thread. The engine side of the steel union seals on the outside face of the crankcase, the steel union is fitted with a steel ring, shaped like a wedding band, and a smear of pipe sealant between the union and both sides of the ring is encouraged.

Usual disclaimer

Ciao, DC
EB8B5BC6-56F7-40D3-A5CB-1FDEBDC09974.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick Casey
The RideNut
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Thanks fellas, that's really useful information. I looked up the Loctite product but it appears to only available in the USA, so will look at finding a compatible product and the local hose fitting suppliers. I admit I have tried PTFE tape but it still dribbles a bit. Unless someone could recommend a thread sealant that I can buy here. Obviously I only need a tiny bottle.

Thank you
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Is Mr Google your friend?

2 minutes of Googling (is that a real word yet?) found this although other more suitable, low strength variants might be available;

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/adhesives-a ... nts/f/7296

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Group Leader wrote:Is Mr Google your friend?

2 minutes of Googling (is that a real word yet?) found this although other more suitable, low strength variants might be available;

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/adhesives-a ... nts/f/7296

Alan
Thanks Alan. Snap! I found that last night and even better I've found a local supplier. :)

I'm still struggling to find the proper female unions though.

Andy
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Plugsnpoints wrote: I'm still struggling to find the proper female unions though.
If they are anyting like BSA B21 spares that's a much harder Google search. Good luck!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Group Leader wrote:
Plugsnpoints wrote: I'm still struggling to find the proper female unions though.
If they are anyting like BSA B21 spares that's a much harder Google search. Good luck!

Alan
Surely if you take along your registration number to your local BSA agent they will be able locate any part you need?!! ;)
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Try Halfords then :D :D :D
only dead fish go with the flow
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Plugsnpoints wrote:I'm still struggling to find the proper female unions though.
What, these?

Or these?

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/parts ... pe-fitting

Regards Mick