Vinyls tranfers

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
rudelan_LAPSED

Vinyls tranfers

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

Hello,
Has anyone ever done a vinyl transfer tank? I would like to know the opinion of those who have already done so before buying.
Thank you.
Life is beautiful and you have to enjoy it
Mick D

Re: Vinyls tranfers

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I've not done a tank but I've had a fair bit of experience using Classic Transfers vinyls. Their application and positioning is greatly facilitated by the clear fronting layer which is removed after fitting.

I always seal both vinyls and transfers with clear coat lacquer.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I would prefer transfer myself if it has to be, instead of hand painted. I have had vinyl number plate letters curl and peel in a very short space of time. I did not clear coat the vinyl numbers. Maybe I did something wrong? I have had new cars with vinyl stripping etc. that have stayed on OK.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Be careful what clear lacquer you use over water slide transfers. Classic Transfers will usually send you a scrap transfer for testing purposes. Some 'rattle can' lacquer will cause the transfer to crinkle up and fall off. I usually hand paint over the transfer with 'Humbrol' clear lacquer as I know that it will not affect the transfer.
I've never tried it on vinyl so test it first!!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
clive

Post by clive »

I used a vinyl transfer on a comp tank. Had difficulty in getting it to follow the shape. Was advised afterwards that a light amount of heat from a heat gun would make it follow the profile better. Had it laquered and tank heat treated afterwards. The vinyl survived this well and still looks good, the one of waterslide transfers did not as there was a hidden very small air pocket. As it was the letter M i was able to paint it in with silver. But it all looks much better than any of my other bikes.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Pharisee wrote:Be careful what clear lacquer you use over water slide transfers. Classic Transfers will usually send you a scrap transfer for testing purposes. Some 'rattle can' lacquer will cause the transfer to crinkle up and fall off. I usually hand paint over the transfer with 'Humbrol' clear lacquer as I know that it will not affect the transfer.
I've never tried it on vinyl so test it first!!
... or you can use Gold Size - available from art shops or online. Cheers. Bruce.

Post by 196016 »

I've posted a picture of the tank I had vinyl lined by the people who do our Vans for work , not cheap and considering it was the first time they had done this type of thing , came up quite well.the tank was sprayed with clear petrol proof lacquer after the photo was taken.
1949 lined tank under new pictures.

Dave Cook
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Didn't know these transfers were available, def the way forward for me as I,m considering respraying the fuel tanks.
Will be using 2 pack paint, so will be interested to know what lacquer was successfully used, and lacquer which is ethanol proof would need to be a must.
Mike
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

I tried transfers that look much like the picture but they were a total failure. However, that may more about my technique than the quality of the transfers.
I couldn't get them to follow the curve at the front of the tank without massive crinkling and the final thing looked too rubbish to leave.

I didn't use any heat to soften them though and maybe I might give it another go as I'm about to paint a tank.

Post by 196016 »

best way to soften decals/transfers is to use a decal setting/softening solution.
go to your nearest model shop and look for something like Microscale microset and microsol , Revell Decal soft , humbrol do one or isopropyl alcohol (pharmacy) .
most importantly is to have a good gloss finish as decals won't adhere to a flat or matt finish.
and don't move it once you are pleased it is in the right position.

this article might help
http://www.scalemodelguide.com/painting ... de-decals/