The future

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MalcW

The future

Post by MalcW »

I was browsing an AJS owners manual the other day, which started me thinking. A modern car or bike manual will tell you what fuel to use, what the warning lights mean, the recommended tyre pressures and lubricants, and little else. The AJS manual pretty much tells you how to strip and rebuild the bike.
I imagine the majority of people in this club are like me, and grew up with bikes from the 50s and 60s. They either carried on riding those bikes or, like me, went on to more modern ones, had a break from them perhaps, and then got back into them later, when time and money allow. This means that, for example, when starting the bike we are used to setting the A/R just here, checking the engine and air temperture and setting the choke just there, tickling the carb just that amount, if at all, easing the kickstart to exactly this position, etc. I wonder how many people coming into bikes on modern machinery would get on doing that, or would even want to? Hopefully a lot, for the future of the club (and others), and bikes of his era.

Cheers,

Malc
Janet

Re: The future

Post by Janet »

I came into bikes on Japanese Hondas. I suppose that accounts for my difficulties with old Brit bikes.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Janet

So what turned you from reliable technology to the Dark Arts then?

Cheers,

Malc
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

True, Malc. Over time one develops a fond relationship with temperamental old bikes; the expense, quirks and idiosyncrasies, .............a bit like wives really.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Most old bikes have a mind of their own. As to settings, each are different. You have to get to know your bike. Some times they need a good talking to. I have often done this with my little 1936 AJS. " If you don't start fist kick I'll take another bike to Jampot instead of you " Much to myself and Jans amusement the bike usually does as its told to do. Or, perhaps its because I really want to take the little 36 AJS, so I make sure its plugs, points etc are all clean, getting the A/R lever in its known correct position, carb flooded etc . It took me a while to get to know my twin. I discovered I had to have the AR fully advanced, first kick it would kick back violently. This seemed to clear its throat. After that, retard the lever to get it to start, then run on to warm up before advancing the lever.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Rob

I'm still learning the settings for my twin. From cold I need to go to full advance, and then back about 1/8 inch of cable. A fraction either way and I will either get kicked, or there will be a deafening silence. Flood the carb. Full choke is a no no - about 2/3 choke seems about right (it took a good few kicks to learn that one). Starting from warm, or hot, I'm still learning. I sometimes think it's easier to check I have enough fuel and then go on a circular route so I don't have to stop the engine, or go somewhere and stay there long enough for it to cool down. Anything in between can result in various amounts of entertainment for onlookers.

Malc
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Janet wrote:I came into bikes on Japanese Hondas. I suppose that accounts for my difficulties with old Brit bikes.
Janet, how are you on Honda c50s?
I am trying to resurrect a very early 6v c50 which has been sleeping since 1972, and whilst I have the engine going well I am not used to the semi automatic gearbox/transmission. All the gears select ok but the clutch engages with a jump when moving off and this tends to stall the engine. The clutch adjustment is correct, do you have any suggestions please?
Last edited by leswaller on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

SPRIDDLER wrote:True, Malc. Over time one develops a fond relationship with temperamental old bikes; the expense, quirks and idiosyncrasies, .............a bit like wives really.
My Greeves is most definitely female also in passing if there is a God also female.
Chemists do it with test tubes
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

My bike was made before I was born; I grew up with modern Japanese machinery. There's no nostalgia for the fifties or sixties from my youth. Nevertheless, I'm still fascinated by old bikes...

I guess what I find most interesting is the innovation: the way the designers were constantly searching for more performance with the limitations of the available manufacturing techniques. Brit bikes are simple, you can take it to bits and understand what the designer was trying to do. So, there's definitely "engineering" interest for me. Modern bikes are really, really dull by comparison (with occasional exceptions...)

The second attraction is in the riding. I've tried modern superbikes: the performance is incredible, but they don't really come alive below 100mph and there's nowhere you can use them apart from a race track. I really don't get how you can "enjoy" a 180hp machine on British roads. Even my 25 year old Ducati is far too fast to use properly in modern traffic.

So I mostly ride my little Lightweight. It's noisy, slow, unreliable and a complete and utter joy to ride on the legal side of 60 mph.

I'm sure I can't be the only one of my generation to get a kick out of Brit bikes. I had a great chat with a guy and his 18-year old son who were competing with each other to build the "best" cafe racer out of some old iron. On the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride last year, there were kids delighted to be having a ride out on "Grandad's motorbike".

I think there's definitely a future for our old machinery. We just need to recognise that what people see in these old bikes might be different to what went before...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Recent bikes include a BMW F800GS / Ducati 750 / Suzuki GS850 (just finishing the rebuild) / G80 & G3LS/C Spring back end added years ago.
Guess which bikes are ridden. G80 & G3.

BMW Gathering dust all last year. Amazing bike for long distance and camping trips. But not really needed for everyday or commuter fun riding.
Ducati - Sold. Cracking bike but I wanted to ride it as it should be ridden and this is not really a good idea for the road nor keeping my licence.
Suzuki GS850 - Verdict is still out on this bike, 79 machine and in the final stages of a rebuild. But it's just not rocking my boat like and old Brit bike. It is the same as most other large modern machines, too many add on bits. Why on earth do I need a gear indicator. Also the cost of parts and restoration on these early Japanese bikes is crazy and so many parts are nigh on impossible to find. I won't be doing another, that's for sure.

So it's mainly been the G80 for every day and club riding. G3 if I want to trot on a bit or take in the odd byway.

Due to a bit of ill health these machine saw no use for several months over the winter. As expected they fired up straight away. just check the oil level, drain the sump if needed, a tickle on the carbs and away they go. usually first kick, but after a long lay up and with the old fuel in the tank I am prepared to allow up to four easy kicks. Any more and the would get a damn good telling of. That sort of behaviour is not acceptable.

I think that like many on this sight, we have all tried the whole range of machines from full on MX machines to head down arse in the air rocket ships. But for an enjoyable and strangely contented relationship with a machine, for me nothing beats a solid dependable British single.