affiliation

General purpose topics/chat goes in here

Re: affiliation

Postby ma120990 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:52 am

SPRIDDLER wrote:We can do little about the aging membership (for many reasons few youngsters are interested in or can afford classic bikes).

Whilst I would agree that the cost of classic bikes is only every going to go up in price, looking at the web statistics on the video file I uploaded to Youtube on 'starting a big British single'. So far it's received around 11,500+ views since March this year (2017). Of these around 50% are between 18 and 54 or under (and pretty evenly spread). Around 96% are male, so I feel interest from the younger set is there to be had. The question is more about how you can to exploit that, and indeed spark that interest into something more tangible?

Most youngies I see never let their mobiles touch the ground unless it's to recharge them, so you have to deal with them on their terms. Speaking with a fello member just last night, we touched on the subject of a video user guides on models, what to look out for, simple maintenance tasks etc etc.. I know I have emailed the comittee before about this so I won't go over old ground. I've had my four penneth and it's anyway its almost time I moved onto new horizons.

Postby ma120990 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 pm

The video stats if anyone's interested showing some of the countries etc.

Postby Mick D » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi

To a degree I think we are our own worst enemies:

The price of classic bikes is determined by the buyers - Us - no point no bemoaning this, I guess we would all seriously consider selling to the highest bidder.

The desire to own a classic bike is often driven by previous ownership experience or knowledge thereof - as time goes on fewer youngsters will have this.

There are a finite number of AMC machines in existence, (ignoring the new regime), this will not increase and the tendency to collect effectively reduces the potential membership.

One way to engender continued interest from the younger generation is to bequeath the bikes to them - they may well choose to take a quick gain straight away but at least they have been given the opportunity of ownership.

Sorry for a bit of a disjointed post but I think a lot of the basics are being missed.

Regards Mick

Postby Harry44 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:22 pm

I chose AJS because 1 I had one as a field bike when I was a kid. 2 Some close friends have AJS 3 They are cheap compared to other marques. 4 a decent club 5 spares are available.

As to 3 they are cheap perhaps that means we are more sensible than others.

My son and daughter are already arguing (nicely) as to who inherits the AJS, Maybe we dragged them up right.

My apologies for 1
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango

Committee

Postby Rob Harknett » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Hits on you tube are bound to be a higher % of youngish people. They out number the average age of a classic bike club member. Compare hits on our web site. Often non members logged on out number members by 100,000%. Is it because they are more interested in our club than us members.

Postby ma120990 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Well as mentioned earlier, I've had my four penneth... Time to step off the soapbox and wish all Jampot members/owners the best for the future whatever that turns out to be.

The new project is in the shed and the camcorder and laptop will be running.!

Over and out, keep right side up everyone :D !

Previous

Return to General Topics