Partial retirement

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Brad

Re: Partial retirement

Post by Brad »

I retired at 65 just over 5 years ago. I couldn't go back to work now unless my life absolutely depended on it. At the begining, I worried a little about whether or not the pensions would support a continuing reasonable life style. Happily they do. I love being able to please myself, to do what I want when I want to, and spend quality time with my wife. Above all, I enjoy being able to "stand and stare" and take more notice of what is around me. Of course this all goes out of the window when the grandchildren come to stay. :D :D I really feel for the next generation who are going to have to work additional years. I certainly wouldn't be able to crawl around under cars, and as for those who may have to lay bricks or plaster ceilings etc :headbang: :headbang:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. ;)
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I now work just two days per week but seem to have less time to do what I want, perhaps we take longer.
Chemists do it with test tubes
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I retired last Friday. I'm going to teach ukulele and singing in primary schools.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Janet wrote:When I retired from paid employment 4½ years ago aged 57, I had a list of all sorts of things I was going to do with all my spare time.

I still have the list.

Mike, you could always take on a club committee post. :)
You still have plenty of years left to complete your list Janet, but, hey ....... oops you have excepted a committee post. :headbang:
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

I was given early retirement by the company I had worked at for 39 years which came with a pension, I decided I didn't want to be at home nor work inside having done so all my working life. I got a job with a Driving Agency where I worked for the next 12 years enjoying most of the jobs that varied from working with people with disabilities to delivering brand new cars. I finally gave up after not renewing my minibus and seven and a half ton licence as jobs became few and far between due to insurance restrictions. The money I earns went towards my motor cycle hobby and trips to various rallies in the U.K and Europe. So don't sit around at home and retire get out there and enjoy life.
bitza

Post by bitza »

I retired at 60, it's great if you have a hobby I've taught myself to play a bit of guitar not brill, but I'm happy with it, if your fairly fit
Do a bit of walking, we joined a strolling club walk a mile or two have a coffee stroll back meet new friends, l wish you a happy retirement, if all goes well you'll wonder how you had time to work full time, I've never met anyone who said they wished they had kept on working.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

I guess it depends on where you are working, I didn't have to take the jobs offered and there were jobs I totally refused to do after doing them just the once. That way I could be selective in what I did. For the most part I enjoyed my semi retirement and met many different people over the years.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I am semi retired and have been for the last 4 years and stil do not seem to have any time to do all the things I am interested in and certainly do not seem to end up riding my bikes as much as I would like. I will be retiring completely next year and can't wait. First on the list will be redecorating my entire flat which has been neglected too long as other more interesting things always seem to take preference. My girlfriend( we have been together for 18 years but still live separate) has my services earmarked as well with a new kitchen request for starters. We both love sea fishing and oil painting but never seem to find the time. My job is quite physical and when retired I want to rekindle my interest in cycling( used to do racing cycling going back a number of years) and have cycled to work for the last 20 years or so. I have just built myself a new track bike in readiness to add to my mountain bike. ( maybe at 64 I should grow up a bit) My partner is 7 years younger than me and won't retire for another 10 years so I will have plenty of time to do my own thing and get out on the motor bikes( she hates bikes!!) as well as doing her D.I.Y. I have another unusual interest.... I am interested in Aboriginal music and culture and am learning traditional aboriginal Didjeridu playing styles. So you see, I won't be getting bored..
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
vincentvv

Post by vincentvv »

Since my age I still have to work for about 35 years, can't help you guys! The thing that frightens me is that by the time I retire, most of the guys on the forum will be .....
Not fired is always a misser!
REW

Post by REW »

vincentvv wrote:Since my age I still have to work for about 35 years, can't help you guys! The thing that frightens me is that by the time I retire, most of the guys on the forum will be .....
Don't bet on it Vincent!
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.