Partial retirement

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
mikeydpippin

Partial retirement

Post by mikeydpippin »

I,m looking for ideas, next year at 60 years young I will be working 3 days a week.
Easy if weather good, I take out my Matchless bikes for a good run.
What about cold and rain what can I do?.
No not school run decorating or any type of d.i.y. Or watching Jeremy Kyle yuk!!!
I,m thinking shed hobbies. An interest, so far some kind of electronics basic understanding or learning a new skill.
Your thoughts what do you do,it's pouring with rain outside or it,s freezing cold?.
Mike
Harry44

Re: Partial retirement

Post by Harry44 »

I took partial retirement at 60 three years ago. I started piano lessons I now have a tyros 2 keyboard which can provide a whole orchestra to play along with. I can play it through headphones so I can be indoors while the lady of the house can watch telly uninterrupted. :D
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Now that's interesting, I,ve often thought about guitar / piano lessons.
Mike
shifter

Post by shifter »

I retired just over 2 years ago at 56 and just love tinkering in the workshop and generally doing what I can and want to do when I like, along with days/time out with my wife as we didn't get a lot of time together when we were working full time then the kids and other things in life. I still get called into the old place of employment to do a little work as well now and again always a few extra penny's to play with, just do what you want and enjoy a little life you only get one shot of being here I say enjoy
Last edited by shifter on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
?
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Interesting Bill, no one yet who,s retired early has regretted it.
Mike
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

mikeydpippin wrote:Interesting Bill, no one yet who,s retired early has regretted it.
Hell no. With my pensions and my part time wages my income is the same as it was working full time.

I did simple maths on taking my pensions early. To begin with I get more from taking it early but lose out later. Later being after the age of 90. But I doubt that I'll need three bikes and a car at 90 not that any male in my family has made it past 76 yet. :D
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Having left the 1960's band Small Faces before they became famous, one of my retirement plans was to get my guitars out the loft and learn to play all over again. ( In ever was much good, never had time to practice ) Nearly 77 now and left it too late. Ill heath you do not consider can scrape all your plans. My advice, don't delay, later you will find its too late. Time rapidly goes by once you retire. My family have all lived into their 90's , 2 over 100.
Janet

Post by Janet »

When I retired from paid employment 4½ years ago aged 57, I had a list of all sorts of things I was going to do with all my spare time.

I still have the list.

Mike, you could always take on a club committee post. :)
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Janet wrote:When I retired from paid employment 4½ years ago aged 57, I had a list of all sorts of things I was going to do with all my spare time.

I still have the list.

Mike, you could always take on a club committee post. :)
Well said Janet, you took the word right out of my mouth :rofl:
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I'm 55 now and have a new hobby that will probably take me up to and beyond retirement at maybe 60. I've bought a number of Trojan Mini Motor cyclemotor engines and, at the moment, just one 1940s Royal Enfield pushbike. I need to make up the hoop and brackets that mount the engine above the rear wheel. It's making these mounting parts that is going to be slightly challenging but also interesting. I'm going to learn some new pipe bending and swaging skills.

The Trojan engines are a delight to work on. Much easier than struggling with my G80S. The Trojans are so simple and easy to take apart and put back together. As you will see from the photo it takes 'Lightweight' to a whole new level! At the end of the project I will have a small number of motorised bikes that will possibly make me an object of ridicule in my village but I will get noticed! I can't remember the last time I saw a cyclemotor on the road.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying doing it and that's the main thing!

Cheers. Bruce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.