Liquid Tape

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
spookefoote1956

Liquid Tape

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I would like to recommend this product. I think it's the canine's sphericals. Performix Liquid Electrical Tape. Sometimes you just can't get heatshrink around a wire because of space limitations or you need to insulate terminals. I used this stuff this weekend and it is absolutely brill. Costs about 12 - 14 quid but a bottle will last yonks.
tape (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Mick D

Re: Liquid Tape

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Will it peel off if you need to do some repair work / alterations?

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not sure if it would act as a substitute for heat shrink sleeve. I could think of a few uses for it that would really just be a bodge, on a cable connection / joint etc. But such a fault should really be repaired or replaced properly. Using it to repair a bared wire would probably not be pass an electrical PAT test. One e bay seller is saying he is opening packets of the jars, to check the lids are tight. As he has had complaints they have leaked in transit.
spookefoote1956

Scrape off with a sharp knife Mick.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Scrape off with a sharp knife Mick.
But if you put where its difficult to get to, surely it will be more difficult to get to, to scrape off with a sharp knife.
Most of my bikes have mag ignition, with quite simple electric's. Easy to work on. Nothing that needs scraping off.
I recall one occasion it would have been handy to have had a bottle of it. My little Reliant car stopped in the far north of Denmark. I discovered I had left a wire untidy in the points I had replaced before setting off. A moving part had worn away insulation. I always carry a First Aid kit. Just a snip from a finger plaster soon covered the bared wire. Five minutes and I'm off again. A similar thing had happened to the rider of a modern bike I stopped for to see if I could help, He said got any insulation tape. I gave him a couple of finger plasters. He said one will do. I said well take two in case you cut a finger doing it. Much to the amusement to his mates.
spookefoote1956

Don't worry Rob it's not compulsory to buy it ;)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Don't worry Rob it's not compulsory to buy it ;)
I was not aware of it Chris, when I first saw it thought, that would be handy? Quite often I need to make new electrical connections which have a small length of sleeveing that covers a soldered connection. This sleeveing usually has to be cut off to remake the connection. I could use the liquid tape, but may not be so happy if I had to scrape off all traces of it to remake the connection again. In many cases a fair amount of heat is involved. So it would need to be quite heatproof. I do not really see much use for it on my bikes as I did see for general electrical items. Some of which do seem to have used liquid tape. At lease I now know its available. So no longer like a trade secret.