Insurance - Garaged / Not Garaged

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
thornebt

Insurance - Garaged / Not Garaged

Post by thornebt »

I just applied for a quote from Peter James insurance. My G80 is kept in a locked shed that is connected to the house alarm and is very secure. The website quote declined insurance as I had not selected 'Garaged' but directed me to ring for a quote. I did this and explained where the bike was kept. They agreed to cover it at the same premium. It also includes agreed value with a minimum of two photos and a quick form to complete. It all seems good for just £92 per annum.
G15 Roy

Re: Insurance - Garaged / Not Garaged

Post by G15 Roy »

That is why we allow them to advertise in the Jampot. If you are with Carol Nash you need to check out their new MOT terms and conditions that you will only receive after you have renewed
Roy
dodger

Post by dodger »

Don't keep us in suspenders, what are these new MoT conditions?
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

If a bike requires an MOT and it has expired even if on SORN you may not be covered this only applies to Carol Nash from the last few months and added to your renewal papers once you have paid up.
Roy
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I haven't had my Matchless MOTd for a good few years now. It's one less thing to worry about although I can appreciate there is a sound argument for testing a machine that is sixty years old.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Always used Peter James had the breakdown included and when I last broke down ( the bike not me ) the AA was with me in 30 mins not bad eh!!
Mike
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I use Peter James and will not now go anywhere else!!! both bikes agreed value (one @ £3000 and the other @£3500) fully comp all for £92 per year (£88 last year) so no over inflated annual increases either unlike other insurance companies.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

the building that your motorcycle is kept in is its GARAGE , so you should have declared it was indeed garaged .

technically a garage is not anything specific that can be referred to as far as whether its made of wood brick steel plastic concrete or glass or even mud or peat blocks .

if it were cold enough you could have an ice garage , after all there is an ice hotel .

there would be marked difference between a garage for a car and one for a motorcycle and as such the insurers ought to be fully aware of this .

go back a couple of decades , my grandfather had no car , he had a scooter and a motorbike , he kept them in a small building 9 feet square which was made from part wood part corrugated iron and part blockwork and was attached to his SHED , he had electric, lights, tools and oils and battery chargers etc in there along with the 2 machines and that was his GARAGE that he kept them in .

whatever you keep your bike in , if its a building of some sort , and can be locked , then it is a garage for your bike .

think of the various terms used for buildings these days and in the past .

on farms you have sheds and barns and workshops , for aircraft on farms used as airfields the barns are called hangars .

on industrial estates the buildings are called units , but if you have a unit you might call it a workshop or a warehouse or store .

if you take your vehicle for MOT it will go to a garage , but the garage could be in a unit on an industrial estate on a farm which was originally a barn .

you could live in a house which was originally a garage, a shop , a blacksmiths forge , an abatoir , a cow shed , or even a piggery .

here locally we have a motorcycle garage that does servicing and mots and classic bikes and it is located in a building which was indeed housing pigs before , but it is a garage in all sense of the word .

if your bike is inside something , whatever the size of it , it is garaged , if its outside in the open air it is not garaged .

all you need to asj yourself is what is a garage , the answer is it is something you keep your vehicle in that you can lock .

in fact with some insurance companies dont use the term garage , they ask if its kept in a locked and secured building at night , and of course a wooden building which is locked is secure , so it serves as a garage in that respect .

years ago most people had wooden garages .

on the railways they kept the locos in sheds and had all kinds of sheds in which they worked on the locomotives and carriages .

the word SHED is just generic , it doesnt refer to anything specific and isnt necessarily used for keeping your garden fork and spade in .

if you have a wooden garage then thats still a garage in the proper meaning of the word .
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I haven't got the paperwork any more for when I had my bike insured with Carole Nash but I'm sure it specified that the bike should be kept in a brick built garage. I could be wrong. There will be some people on here who will be insured with CN who can check their paperwork. I'm sure I looked at the matter very carefully at the time before switching to Peter James insurance. Cheers. Bruce.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Most polices only cover complete machines. I questioned this. Q. What if I am working on the bike, have something apart and waiting for a part.
A . You are not covered. Q. I may only have the wheel out to mend a puncture and waiting for a tube. The bike is then harder to steal than with wheels in. A. Not covered bike must be complete. That was Peter James. Q. What if I had cover for parts to the value of a bike, so if non complete bike was stolen I would be covered, eeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr Oh well if a stolen bike is found in bits, it was not my doing. The bike must be complete is an invite for people to be dishonest.