LED lamp upgrades

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
56G80S

Re: LED lamp upgrades

Post by 56G80S »

Not using an old bobbin VRU but a DVR2. As for the power supply, the plug into the "cigarette lighter" socket provides additional smoothing and cut out. Need to use one which is meant to supply to Smart phones; when I was using the Nokia Windowsphone the standard plug couldn't keep pace and over time the 'pnone (which I use as the satnav) ran down. Bought a smartphone / tablet specific plug and all good.

Sony Xperia fine for over 2,000 miles used as a satnav and can only speak from personal experience. If someone else has a different experience which works for them then, of coutrse, they'll stick with it. I don't know about the Garmin although I understand thatthere are particular issues with using non Garmin chargers? I was just listing my experience.

Lee Trevino used to say that his grip was wrong, his swing was wrong and his stance was wrong but he did it the same every time, knew where the ball would go and it didn't stop him being a top golfer.

Sometimes there's not just one right way.

Johnny B
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Speaking from personal experience with a Garmin, you have to use their charger lead which has a bit of circuit gadgetry in it and only comes as a cigarette lighter type plug. However it will work happily on a 6v bike if you buy a small voltage doubler from one of the Chinese online suppliers to feed the socket
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Expat

Post by Expat »

Not having much luck trying to run a Garmin on the bike. On the first try connected using it's supplied lead all was well to start with, then it started powering off and restarting repeatedly.

Right, said I, I'll sort you out. So mounted 12 volt battery from the Yam inside a plastic container screwed to short length of 8 x 2 timber and sat it in the tail bag on the bike.

Connected up again using correct lead........same thing happened and when checking the battery voltage on getting home it had dropped to around 11.9v.
It's an old battery and was obviously not being charged while on the bike but Garmin still didn't like it.

Maybe the unit itself has a problem. Will try it in the car at the week end.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The Garmin should be alright Steve, I run my one from a cigar lighter socket and it's been across Europe twice and will be going to Poland with it. One thing they definately need is a genuine power cable.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Rob, I charged up the old 12 volt battery overnight and connected up the Garmin on the bench using the genuine cable supplied with it and a cigarette lighter adapter lead.

Switched it on and left it all day pretty much and it seemed fine, even though battery voltage had dropped to around 11.7 volts at the end. ;) Haven't tried it on a car journey yet but can't see why it would behave differently.

Haven't a clue why it plays up on the bike, whether it's powered by 6 or 12 volts, so not sure if Les's suggestion of using a voltage doubler would help.

Regards,

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Don't forget there's quite a lot of radio frequency interference from the ignition system on a classic bike (especially if you are running copper spark plug leads).
Way above what's permitted nowadays (and certainly much more than you'd get inside a modern car).

If it works fine in a car, it may be that the interference is too much for the delicate computer in your satnav...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Expat
I dont have any problems running the Garmin on the bike using the voltage doubler and in fact it links happily via bluetooth with my IPhone to keep updating me on traffic delays.
As you are probably aware all sat navs run on 5.3v but the crafty buggers at Garmin make you use 12v and their special lead/plug to ensure they can fleece you for all the accessories. If you do a bit of googling you can find out how to get round their crafty schemes, but it involves open heart surgery on the sat nav which of course invalidates any and all warranties
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Expat

Post by Expat »

Will persevere with the current set up for now. I looked online at the voltage doublers and they seem cheap enough to try one out so might give it a try. Odd that even using the genuine Garmin lead and a 12 volt battery it still powers off when using it on the bike. :cry:

Guess the RFI could be the problem as Paul suggests, but how come it works for a while to start with?

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

All lamps now changed....... the photo shows the front pilot light
The main headlamp is blinding...... but not to oncoming traffic!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ride Safe & don'wear beige :lol: